Monday, November 23, 2009

Review of e-hoomaluo Web Application

E-hoomaluo is a web application providing daily information on the level of carbon intensity of Oahu grid. After reviewing the system, here's the few things that catch my attention. The cool features of the system is the calendar picker which simplify user a lot. It's also prevent user from typing the invalid date. However, the date format should be rearranged to mm-dd-yyyy instead of yyyy-mm-dd. In term of interface design, the date textbox should set to readonly. This will eliminate the issue that user will input invalid date or any random text. Also, the date textbox size should shrink to only the length of the date. I also suggest to have a calendar grid icon for the calendar picker icon, it's more familiar to most user. After waiting for a result to show up, I've got an error message at the top of the page. I was freak out a bit as the message for any date that has no data that goes as "Got a bad result...". The users might interpret the message differently and they only like to see a good result. To gain user's attention, the error message should has some style like red bold text and somewhere in the middle of the page. I do like the carbon-level label which is a good idea to help user to understand the result better. However, the mathematical symbol should be replaced with text as not everyone knows these symbols. In the system documentaion, I think the description of wattdepot package is incorrect. The last suggestion is for the threshold calculation. The system need to filter the hard-coded threshold value with at least another constraint such as time or total carbon emission. My last word for the implementation design, I like the idea to pack the page components in a component package.

Beside my comments above, I also checked the system coverage, reviewed the software ICU, and reviewed the naming style. I don't find any major issue that worth mention here. I hope this review will somehow help improving the e-hoomaluo system. Keep doing great work!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment