Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Subversion and Google Project Hosting for Firingdock

Since I started to work in a team environment, a lot of issue arise. Like many developers, I've been experiencing issues such as my code was over-written accidently or even "the happy testing issue". The issue was not just because of multiple developers involved but also caused by the sync of multiple copies of source code from several local machines. I sometimes spent days just trying to fix the bugs resulted from code over-written.

Using the version control tool like Subversion give me a key for my own problem. I think Subversion is just a great tool for multiple and rapidly release of source code. After installing TortoiseSVN, I've familiarized myself with SVN by checking out the robocode-pmj-dacruzer project from Google Project Hosting. I also made a minor change to the system then verified the package before committed the change. The most important feature of SVN is the promptness of changes made to the system. I think the vulnerable issue with SVN especially for the open source is allowing anyone to committ change to the system. However, holding with the same believe as Jimmy Wales, the co-founder of Wikipedia, will surely overcome this issue.

While SVN meant for tracking release of the source code, Google has provide us a great tool for open source environment. Not only that it cost-free, the Google Project Hosting provides web space to host the source code, wiki page for creating user guides, and interface to track changes of the source code.

After getting around with both SVN and the Google Project Hosting, I think both tools perfectly work together. It is also a good learning experience to explore how thing work in the open source environment.

Checking out the Firingdock's project on Google Project Hosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment